Tuesday 21 April 2020

Book Review 8: Tao of Pooh by Benjamin Hoff

I recommend that everybody read the book, “Tao of Pooh” by Benjamin Hoff. I had ordered the book on amazon, however the order got cancelled as it was considered to be a ‘non essential’ item. Luckily I could download a free pdf copy on www.pdfdrive.com. Here is a link to the book - https://www.pdfdrive.com/the-tao-of-pooh-d15514730.html.
This book has played a major role in ‘helping me have the much needed positive attitude’ during this time of crisis. The book - which is a conversation between Pooh and Christopher reveals the Tao of Pooh through excerpts from various stories written by A.A. Milne. Pooh has also been one of my favorite characters during my growing days. All the other characters - Rabbit, Roo, Piglet, Tigger, Eeyour, Owl - have a special place in the book too as the stories woven between these characters reveals the ‘Tao’. Christopher also draws parallels with ‘Pooh’s way of living’ with Lao Tse’s, ‘Tao te Ching’ - a major text in the Chinese philosophy.
Here is an excerpt from this book that has helped me be in the here and now and appreciate my present. (here ‘I’ is Christopher Robin.)
"I say, Pooh, why aren't you busy?" I said.
"Because it's a nice day," said Pooh.
"Yes, but "
"Why ruin it?" he said.
"But you could be doing something Important," I said.
"I am," said Pooh.
"Oh? Doing what?"
"Listening," he said.
"Listening to what?"
"To the birds. And that squirrel over there."
"What are they saying?" I asked.
"That it's a nice day," said Pooh.
"But you know that already," I said.
"Yes, but it's always good to hear that somebody else thinks so, too," he replied.
"Well, you could be spending your time getting Educated by listening to the Radio, instead," I Said.
"That thing?"
"Certainly. How else will you know what's going on in the world?" I said.
"By going outside," said Pooh.
"Er . . . well...." (Click.) "Now just listen to this, Pooh."
"Thirty thousand people were killed today when five jumbo airliners collide over downtown
Los Angeles ...," the Radio announced.
"What does that tell you about the world?" asked Pooh.
"Hmm. You're right." (Click.)
"What are the birds saying now?" I asked.
"That it's a nice day," said Pooh.
(Click is the sound of the radio buttons)
There is a lot more wealth waiting to be shared in this book. Do click on the link, download the book and enjoy what it has to offer.
My message to everyone today is ‘Be appreciating, Be Positive...just look around and soak in the treasures with all your senses…’ ‘Be happy that everyone is doing their bit’ in whatever ways they are best capable of.

No comments:

Post a Comment